Seaview realtime software
At the heart of Seaview products and services is Seaview Realtime software (software specification) that processes phased array HF radar data to provide real-time measurement of surface currents, waves and winds and creates maps, time-series plots and directional spectrum wave plots with high temporal and spatial resolution and large area coverage, up to 250km offshore. The data is calculated at multiple grid points across the coverage area, this could be 300 high quality data points across an area of 500 to 20,000 km2. The full directional spectrum for the waves is calculated at each point with sufficient signal, which allows variation in the wave field to be accurately captured. With current technology calculations take around 0.16 sec per data point, so typically the entire area may be updated in less than one minute after the radar data have been collected. The radar data collection period is dependent on the beam-forming methods of the radar and on the required averaging period for wave measurement, so typically the data updates occur every ten minutes. The data is then available locally or on-line using the Seaview Data Viewer that provides a variety of easy to use data maps, tables and plots.
Based on the SPRO software developed at the University of Sheffield, Seaview Realtime software has been proven in met-ocean experiments such as SCAWVEX and EuroROSE and has been available in full operational mode since 2002. The software has been used with radar data from OSCR, WERA and Pisces radar systems in the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Germany, France, USA, Oman, Australia and the UK.
Most recently the software has been used for:
- the Australian Coastal Ocean Radar Network (ACORN) based in Townsville, Queensland
- the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences in Miami with two WERA deployments located on the Florida coastline
- the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography in Savannah measuring ocean surface currents and waves on the Georgia and South Carolina coastlines of the USA
- the Oman Met Office with a WERA HF radar system measuring the Indian Ocean.
- the French Naval Oceanographic Center with WERA HF radars on the coast of Western Brittany.
- the UK Met Office with Pisces HF radars in the Celtic sea for potential inclusion in UK wave monitoring network WAVENET.
- the Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory Coastal Observatory with WERA HF radars in Liverpool Bay (UK).
Seaview Realtime software features:
- Seaview Realtime software provides wave, surface current and wind data.
- Seaview Realtime is proven, portable and platform independent, working with any suitable radar.
- Large area coverage, up to around 20,000km2
with fine spatial resolution. Depending on radar installation, the range and
resolution would typically be:
- Currents and wind measurements 50km at 1km resolution, 250km at 15km resolution,
- Wave measurements 25km at 1km resolution, 150km at 15km resolution.
- Seaview Realtime software calculates the full directional spectrum for waves at every possible data location across the sea area; this allows the full wave picture to be accurately captured and full direction spectrum plots to be displayed for each grid point where the radar signal is sufficient.
- Seaview data includes measurements of surface current direction & speed, wave height, period, direction & full directional spectrum and wind direction at each grid point where the radar signal is sufficient across the area.
- Fast calculation (less than one minute after data collection) — the data update rates are defined by the radar selected, which typically allows a refresh every ten minutes.
- Seaview provides comprehensive support for the software, the systems and technical expertise in system optimisation and data interpretation.
- Seaview Data Viewer presents real-time and historical data clearly as a map, in tabular form, in time series plots and directional spectrum plots for viewing locally or on-line in real-time and downloading data quickly and easily.
- Environmental warnings may be incorporated into Seaview Realtime software for particular applications, these may be sent out as text alerts or emails for particular events such as a storm surge alerts.
- Seaview Realtime includes system diagnostics to recognise some radar system malfunctions; these can be linked to alerts via your preference of text messaging or email so that malfunctions are recognised immediately and repaired quickly.
- Seaview Realtime software has been verified in met-ocean experiments such as SCAWVEX and EuroROSE and has been used with radar data from OSCR, WERA and Pisces HF radar systems in the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, France, the USA, Oman, Australia and the UK.
- Seaview originates from the radar and wave measurement expertise of Prof. Lucy Wyatt and her team at Sheffield University and continues to benefit from her wealth of knowledge within the company and her dedication to our clients.
Development has been continuous to ensure that capabilities match customer requirements and IT and marine sector technical developments. The latest upgrade has been to develop our new Seaview Data Viewer; this allows the data to be quickly and easily monitored and downloaded. Seaview Data Viewer offers unparalleled clarity when using your data. To experience the unique Seaview Data Viewer online visit our ocean data pages.